Potato and Aubergine Pithivier



This is a savoury pithivier, which is a puff pastry pie similar to a galette de rois baked at New Year. It has two discs of rough puff pastry with a layered filling of potato and aubergine flavoured with garlic and lightly spiced with cumin.

Normally my attempt at pithiviers end up as a wonky mess with the filling oozing out a weakness in the pastry. However, I have picked up a tip from recipes I have read of making the top disc larger than the bottom, which lets it encase the filling perfectly and seal well. I have to say, I think this puff pastry is the best I have ever made. I'm not sure why it is even better than usual, but it seems to be incredibly light and flaky. I like the addition of lard as it gives it a subtle savoury flavour which works well with the vegetables. The spicing of the aubergine is subtle but enough to bring out its flavour. I am over the moon with the look and taste of this pie. It is delicious.

Comments