Milk Chocolate and Pumpkin Seed Flapjacks



This is the first time I've baked flapjacks for a year or more, I figured it wouldn't be right to make them too healthy, as that isn't really me. So this is a demerara sugar and golden syrup oaty flapjack mixture flavoured with milk chocolate chunks and pumpkin seeds, drizzled with milk and white chocolate.

The flapjack mix itself is just the right sweetness, without being sickly. It is sticky but baked so it has a crunch on top but is soft and slightly chewy in the centre. I used a little self-raising flour in the flapjack which I think gives a slightly lighter and less dense texture, and allows for it to be baked to golden brown without becoming biscuit-like and a cause for a trip to the dentist! I made the slight mistake of adding the chocolate chunk to the dry oats then pouring in warm syrup which melted them a little and, after stirring, made for a chocolate mix as opposed to leaving chunks. So, next time I would perhaps add the syrup first which would cool it before stirring in the chocolate and pumpkin seeds. I like the use of milk chocolate instead of my usual dark chocolate as it gives a light and creamy flavour instead of bitterness. I think the drizzle finishes it off elegantly and makes you just want to grab a piece to try.

Comments