Lemon and Cinnamon Dampfnudel with Lemon Butterscotch Sauce



I have been attempting this week's Great British Bake Off technical challenge, dampfnudel. I have made my steamed dumplings flavoured with lemon zest and cinnamon, and they are served with a vanilla custard and lemon butterscotch sauce.

This was an interesting bake. It was one I have watched Paul Hollywood make on his TV show and read in his book, so it was fun to give it a go. The dumplings have a wonderful soft texture and rose well. I would say they perhaps needed an extra couple of minutes steaming before I removed the lid to evaporate the poaching liquid, but I find that hard to judge on the basis that they were warm when cut which isn't what you normally do with buns. The sweet butterscotch sauce had a delicious tang from the lemon and was fantastic with the spiced dumplings. This is a great combination and was an unusual yet quite tasty thing to eat.

Comments