Coffee and Caramel Mousse Cakes



These are some miniature mousse cakes perfect for a buffet on New Year's Eve. They feature two layers of coffee joconde sponge soaked in coffee syrup, a caramel mousse and are topped with a dark chocolate shard dusted with cocoa powder.

The sponge is light and delicate, with a rich coffee flavour, boosted perfectly by the syrup. The caramel mousse is sweet and contrasts the coffee wonderfully. I have to admit, it wasn't without issues in making as the first attempt split due to my overwhisking and my impatience, but after a quick trip to the shops I managed to get it right. I think I would possibly reduce the gelatine a little though next time to make it slightly less set. The chocolate shard didn't cause as many problems as I expected, but unfortunately I ended up with bloom due to slight over heating as I was making such a small quantity. But, I think the cocoa powder makes it look great, even if the original idea was to cover up the bloom! I don't think I would change it anyway!

Comments