Rose Frangipane Madeleine Tarts



These are some elegant little tarts. They are a shortcrust pastry case moulded in a madeleine tin, filled with a rose water flavoured almond frangipane, glazed with honey and topped with toasted flaked almonds and icing sugar.

The pastry surprisingly baked well, despite not blind baking, and kept to the madeleine shape better than expected. My perseverance with chilling and trimming meant that they look perfectly formed. The frangipane filling is baked just right to be soft and moist with a lovely buttery flavour and a subtle hint of rosewater. It did crack a little on top, so next time I would mix it a little less vigorously and possible reduce the oven temperature by 10 degrees. Other than this, I think the decoration is simple and looks great, although sprinkling the almonds prior to baking possibly would have been a better idea. I am very pleased with the end result as I was worried the pastry would shrink, lose its shape and they wouldn't bake well. This did not happen so I am relieved. This one is definitely a keeper!

Comments