Rhubarb, Stem Ginger and Clotted Cream Baked Alaska




There is only one thing needed in warm summer weather, and that is ice cream. And, what better way to consume it, than in baked alaska form. This is my version comprising of a ginger sponge base made with black treacle, golden syrup and dark muscovado sugar, with a rhubarb layer, stem ginger and clotted cream ice cream and a toasted swiss meringue coating.

The cake took two attempts as the first did not rise due to my lack of inclusion of sufficient raising agent in my recipe, but the second one was perfect. It is dense and sticky in flavour but also light in texture. The clotted cream ice cream is rich and indulgent, with the clotted cream adding a delicious depth of creaminess and flavour. It works wonderfully with the stem ginger, rhubarb and the ginger sponge. It cuts through the treacle well. I did have a few problems with a slow freezer and warm flat, but it just tested my (apparently non-existent) patience! The meringue was whisked to perfection so was stiff and spreadable, and toasted using a blow torch in a casual and elegant manner. I like the sponge sticking out the bottom. I think it makes it look slightly quirky and unique. I am happy with the results of this in the end. Two days of waiting and at last it worked!

Comments