Blackcurrant and Custard Crumble



This is a summer crumble that reminds me of days having dessert at my grandparents (where ironically I dreaded blackcurrant crumble!). This is a base of blackcurrants, golden caster sugar and cassis, topped with a vanilla custard mixture and then a demerara sugar crumble with sunflower and pumpkin seeds.

The dessert took a childhood dislike and made it absolutely delicious. The cassis brings out the blackcurrant flavour strongly which is necessary to cut through the plain crumble topping. The seed topping adds a great crunch and extra taste. The custard layer was supposed to sit on top of the fruit mix however it merged with the blackcurrant producing more of a sauce, with a vanilla custard background. Although it was not as intended, I think the end perhaps tasted even better and the fruit base was a lovely consistency. I would still keep this dessert as it is.

Comments