Ginger and Salted Caramel Traycake



I have been baking a cake by demand from a work colleague. It is a cake I made at Christmas, with a subtle change. It is a ginger cake with stem ginger pieces and light brown sugar, and topped with a salted caramel buttercream.

The cake batter was much wetter than I remembered, and posed a few challenges in terms of incorporating the flour without lumps. This meant that I had to beat it more than intended, leading to a slight rise in the centre of the cake. I think I would reduce the baking temperature a little more and bake it for longer in an attempt to minimise this. I perhaps may consider reducing the milk content slightly too, but this would have to be done without affecting the lightness of the cake. The subtle change I made was one done by accident. I did not write my recipe out correctly the first time and so failed to cool the caramel before incorporating it into the butter for the topping. This meant I essentially ended up with a caramel sauce, which would definitely not have spread on the top. I therefore have changed it to combining the caramel with a buttercream. This result is one I like much better as it was easier to use but still delivers the delicious flavour. I very much enjoyed baking something for the second time, despite the fact I don't normally do this. It meant I could play with my recipe, which was a valuable opportunity.

Comments