Orange and Walnut Cake



This sandwich cake is made using a whole boiled orange, marmalade and chopped of walnuts. It is simply filled with a buttercream made with a little of the orange pulp and dusted with icing sugar.

I won't even pretend this bake went without a hitch. Something that should have been so easy ended up an almost disaster when I was washing up and noticed the walnuts still sat on the side once my cakes were in the oven. So a quick rescue mission of whipping the tins out and stirring through the walnuts before continuing baking. It was lucky I noticed only 3 minutes through baking and in the end the sponge were perfect. They are very moist thanks to the addition of the orange pulp, with a strong citrus flavour. This married perfectly with the earthy walnut. I did have a few issues with my frosting too as I decided to be stingy and make it with margarine instead of butter, so once I stirred the orange pulp in it struggled to set. However, it adds a lovely extra citrus kick and is delicious.

Comments