Coffee and Walnut Cake

This year for my birthday I was instructed that I was not allowed to bake my own cake, as much as I found this hard to do. Therefore my partner was in charge of baking my birthday cake. As she is not a fan of coffee cake and I very much am, she agreed to bake this coffee and walnut cake for me as, on this occasion, our baking would be able to be shared with others. I provided her with this recipe, which I thought was pretty much foolproof. Nevertheless, I had to guide her through step-by-step as she became confused with some of my instructions. Despite many complications throughout, much to our surprise this cake turned out to be absolutely delicious! The coffee flavour was spot on and the texture light. Maybe next year I will relinquish control once again and forego the job of baking my birthday cake.

Recipe - Makes 6 inch cake

For the cake:

  • 1 tsp white vinegar
  • 100ml soya milk (or other dairy free milk)
  • 125g margarine, softened
  • 125g caster sugar
  • 2 tsp coffee extract
  • 125g plain flour
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder
  • 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
  • 40g walnuts, chopped roughly
For the buttercream:
  • 50g margarine, softened
  • 120g icing sugar
  • 1 tsp coffee extract
  • Icing sugar, to dust
Preheat the oven to 170C. Grease two loose-bottomed 6 inch sandwich tins and line the bases with a round of parchment. Set aside until needed. 

To make the cake, start by mixing the vinegar into the milk, stir briefly then set aside. Cream the butter and sugar in a bowl to pale and light. Beat in the milk a little at a time, whisking to incorporated before adding more, putting in a spoon of flour each time as needed to stop the mixture curdling. Tip in the coffee extract and mix well. Add the flour, baking powder and bicarbonate of soda and fold in lightly, followed by the walnuts. 

Divide the mixture between the two lined sandwich tins and bake for 25-30 minutes or until risen and the sponge springs back when pressed lightly. Remove and transfer to a wire rack to cool. 

Whilst the cake is cooling, prepare the frosting. Beat the margarine until soft then add the icing sugar and coffee extract. Mix together until smooth. Place one of the sponges on a plate. Spread the buttercream on tops of the sponge and gently place the other sponge on top. Dust with icing sugar to finish before serving. 





Comments